Point Lighthouse (1869) is located on a bluff overlooking the Straits
of Mackinac, 2 miles west of Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse near the Mackinaw
City, Michigan village limit. McGulpin Point Lighthouse was deactivated
in 1906. Until recently the lighthouse was a private residence and the
property was not open to the public.
After the lighthouse property was offered for sale for
several years, Emmet County agreed to purchase the lighthouse for $720,000
in the summer of 2008. In the Spring of 2009 Emmet County replaced the
long missing light & lantern room and began returning the residence
portion of the lighthouse into a museum dedicated to the history of McGulpin's
Point Light and the surrounding McGulpin family land claim. Since May 30th,
the McGulpin Point Light shines across the Straits for the first time since
This summer, the lighthouse is open to the public from
10AM - 5PM Saturdays and 11AM - 3PM Sundays. The grounds are open anytime.
In time, the residence will be a museum, but there are currently only a
few interesting photo displays. Presently, the main reason for entering
the building is to climb the winding stairway to the top of the tower.
Straits of Mackinac lighthouses
Pictured Rocks National
Mackinac Island in
Tahquamenon Falls & Whitefish Point
Straits of Mackinac Weekend